and thanks for lists
November 29, 2002, 9:36 am
Thanksgiving wreaked havoc on my innards, but that's quite okay.
Man, we had THREE turkeys here. THREE. I'll be eating the few strains of meat clinging to those few turkey carcasses for WEEKS.
But aside from eating roughly nineteen pieces of "razzleberry" pie and spending the entire day taunting my sisters and cousins by beating the crap out of them while playing WORMS: World Party, Thanksgiving is a time of reflection and giving thanks...so, to wit, a LIST:
Stuff I'm Thankful For in 2002:
1. My family is REALLY close. Obnoxiously close, even. I look forward to holidays and such to see everyone, and I look forward to seeing my parents when I get home. I know a lot of people who don't have this luxury.
2. My house is much akin to anything you'd see on MTV's Cribs. I grew up in a three bedroom, one bathroom Cape Cod. My parents worked their entire lives for the house that I live in now, and I'm very grateful.
3. My Yaya is one of the most important people in my life, and I'm lucky she's around to share times with me. I'm also lucky that I had all four of my grandparents live within 20 minutes of my house for 20 years of my life, and though three have long left this mortal coil, I'm glad that I had the time with them that I did.
4. I'm thankful that my father can say a beautiful prayer before any meal. I'm also thankful that he (and God, for that matter) didn't get upset or offended when I said, "Rub-a-dub-dub, thanks for the grub! Yay God!" after he said grace yesterday.
5. New skirt. Makes my ass look great. I'm hella thankful for that! Boo-ya!
6. I'm thankful that I can live with my folks and pay off my grad school debt and my car.
7. Christian, my sister's godson, is the most adorable child on the face of the earth. I'm thankful that he's getting better.
8. Saturday Night Live is still funny, and Comedy Central plays episodes about nineteen gazillion times a day.
9. I still have three days to grade papers.
10. I'm going out with my teacher friends tonight, not because it's a mandated thing, but because I WANT to spend time with the people I work with outside of school. I'm blessed to work at a school with an exceptionally young staff so I always feel good going to work.
11. I have good kids this year. Thanks.
12. My new car is, for lack of a better adjective, 'da bomb!
I'm damn lucky to be who I am, where I am, and what I am. Happy Thanksgiving!