June 9, 2002, 4:19 p.m.
Top Ten Things I've Learned During My First Year of Teaching:
10. Any and all pencils that may be lurking around on one's desk will undoubtedly disappear despite constant replenishment.
9. Everything that one may have thought one got away with in high school one did not actually get away with at all: in fact, because of one's teacher's benevolence, one got off scot-free.
8. Teachers don't become alcoholics; alcoholics become teachers.
7. One can't save them all; one can, however, save some of them.
6. Exit 9 is STILL home to the smokers, the urinators, and the young couples expressing their "love".
5. Avoid George McGhee on his golf cart unless you want to be run over!
4. Hell hath no fury like a 9th grader scorned.
3. Always have an extra overhead bulb on hand.
2. They say that you can never go home again; how wrong they are!
*drum roll please*
1. All this time, I thought teachers touched students' lives...in fact, it's just the opposite!